Wednesday, September 29, 2004

"You're fired!"

I was watching The Apprentice and thinking that it's weird how a show that is so compelling and entertaining can at the same time be strangely abhorrent. These people basically represent the worst of unchecked capitalist society: bloodthirsty and willing to do anything to get to the top, schmoozing on caviar while a few blocks away some homeless guy asks for a quarter. Maybe that's part of what is so fascinating about it.



I will never be those people, not only because I will never have the opportunity, but because I would never take it. I don't want to be rich. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would take what I need to live and ensure that my family will live, and donate every remaining cent to a variety of charities. Sure, I'd live comfortably, but not extravagantly. Maybe the equivalent of $100,000 a year income in today's dollars at most. Certainly no more. Possibly less. If I had two kids, that would be $25,000 per capita per year.



In the meantime, it's great fun to watch these people bicker and fight, but also pull off some crazy stuff in two days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment