Monday, November 13, 2006

Another quick thought about Buddhism

My views on the subject of this post have changed since the post was written. I am leaving the post up, but please note that it is no longer consistent with my opinion.

After some more consideration, I think I can better articulate how I use "Buddhism" in my life (it must be in quotes since I have never actually practiced it per se). I definitely consider myself a preference utilitarian in that I think that good is defined as "that which satisfies the preferences of the most people the most often" and bad is that which doesn't. Where the "Buddhism" comes in is in determining for myself what preferences I really have, and which are trivial. Which is to say, accepting that pain is a part of life and letting go of needless desires. Or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment