Thursday, August 14, 2008

Computing in the Cloud

I am going to try an experiment. I'm already most of the way there, so it's really just a matter of taking the last step. The mission: do everything I do on the computer in Firefox, using only web apps and extensions.

Gmail has my email. Google Reader has my RSS feeds. Google Calendar can handle scheduling and reminders. Word processing through Google Docs. Meebo (and, to some extent, Twitter) will do messaging. I've come to listen to Pandora more than my own music in iTunes, anyway. Photos are on Flickr.

There's very little I absolutely need to do outside of Firefox, really. My personal needs and job don't require much in the way of "power using." So let's see how this goes. Dock set to autohide; Firefox zoomed to fill the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment