Sunday, March 23, 2008

Transmale pregnancy

Labor of Love
Ten years ago, when Nancy and I became a couple, the idea of us having a child was more dream than plan. I always wanted to have children. However, due to severe endometriosis 20 years ago, Nancy had to undergo a hysterectomy and is unable to carry a child. But after the success of our custom screen-printing business and a move from Hawaii to the Pacific Northwest two years ago, the timing finally seemed right. I stopped taking my bimonthly testosterone injections. It had been roughly eight years since I had my last menstrual cycle, so this wasn’t a decision that I took lightly. My body regulated itself after about four months, and I didn’t have to take any exogenous estrogen, progesterone, or fertility drugs to aid my pregnancy.
What I love about this story is that it forces people to confront several of their biases (or tolerances) at once. Not only do you have the transgender issue, you have the question of reproductive liberty, and the broader issue of gender roles. On top of that, one inevitably thinks of the potential for cismale pregnancy mediated by biotechnology.

For my part, I think it's really cool. Hope all goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment