Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Texans, I call on you!

If you live in Texas, please write/email/call your state senators and urge them to vote against HJR 6, the so-called "Defense of Marriage Act." This bill, already passed in the state House, not only makes gay marriage illegal in Texas, it makes "seperate but equal" civil unions illegal as well. It gives those of minority sexual orientation no recourse for partnership rights. When combined with the recent legislation making it illegal for lesbians and gay men to adopt foster children, it turns Texas into exactly the sort of intolerant hell that intelligent non-Texans already think it is. If the bill passes the Senate - and let's be honest, it probably will - then get everyone you know to vote against state-wide ratification in the polls.

I am sometimes embarrassed and sickened to live in this state. Thank god for mostly-progressive Austin, the oasis of sanity; not that it will matter when a million-odd Texans won't have any rights left. Lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgendered persons, transsexuals, queers and questioning, please understand that some of us breeders still love you. We'll even fight for you.

politics

1 comment:

  1. Good luck!

    I wrote a similar letter to my senator in Virginia. He gave me the standard form letter response about appreciating my view, but said that because he believes in the sanctity of marriage, he feels voting for such an amendment is the right thing to do.

    I responded that since he is such a proponent of the sanctity of marriage, I would be most interested to see what he does about the rising divorce rate, which I think threatens marriage far more than two people who happen to be of the same gender wanting to commit themselves to each other on a permanent basis.

    I wonder why I haven't heard back from him on that one...

    ReplyDelete