Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Relaxation

Through sheer (bad?) luck, I haven't worked the last two days.

Today I wrote some novel background, bought some pain reliever for what I am incresingly thinking are migraines, ate a veggie sub, surfed the net, cleaned the apartment, and now I am enjoying a nice Austin afternoon rain. It was a good day, but pretty lonely, as days home alone often are. Even when you're doing different things, it's nice to have somebody around that you can share your random, humorous, and/or stupid observations with.

Here's one such observation: usually when I go to Subway, it's off peak hours so there is at most one or two other customers. Today I went at 12:30, when they were full for lunch. Anyway, I order and all three employees that handle my sandwhich - the bread-meat-cheese person, the vegetable person, and the cashier - seemed to be incredulous that I wasn't eating slices of cow, pig, or bird muscle on my sandwich. I had to tell them each twice that it was a veggie sub, the first time always met with a "What?" I know that only about one in a hundred Americans is a vegetarian, but they never seem to have any trouble understanding the concept when I'm the only customer to deal with.

personal

4 comments:

  1. you guys don't have the Veggie Max patty at Subways in your area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I salute you for being a vegetarian. I don't think I could ever do it. I like those types of "muscle" a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them, too, but to me enjoying a flavor isn't worth the moral cost of factory farming and slaughter. I've only been a vegetarian for a little over a year, and it has taken about that long for me to go from mouth-watering over meat to near-gagging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed at how many people who go for a year or more without meat can suddenly become physically ill from tasting it, and in some cases, even seeing it.

    An interesting reaction.

    ReplyDelete